Sustainable City 2020
14th International Conference on Urban Regeneration and Sustainability
22–24 September 2020
With the main objective to preserve our delegates’ well-being, but also with the belief that the scientific community should not be stopped, WIT decided that Sustainable City 2020 should not take place as scheduled, in Rome, Italy, but take place as an online event instead.
The conference was organised by the Wessex Institute, UK, represented by Professor Giorgio Passerini, of the Marche Polytechnic University, Italy and Member of the WIT Board of Directors and by the University of Rome 'La Sapienza', Italy. Represented by Professor Stefano Ricci.
The conference, which started in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil in 2000, is well-established and always attracts a wide international spread of delegates.
The Sustainable City Conference addresses the multidisciplinary components of urban planning, the challenges presented by the increasing size of the cities, the number of resources required and the complexity of modern society.
Opening of the Conference
The conference was opened with a presentation of the Wessex Institute followed by an opening address by the Conference Chairman, Professor Stefano Ricci, to the Sustainable City Conference Series, welcoming delegates to this year’s online event.
There were a series of invited lectures on advanced topics of research and applications, as follows:
- “Temporary transformations to access and experience sustainable city public spaces”, by Danila Longo, of the University of Bologna, Italy
- “Methods to generate an expected turning traffic flow matrix for road junction analysis”, by Antonio Pratelli, of the University of Pisa, Italy
- “The future of dwelling: rocking the house-boat”, by Camilo Cerro, of the American University of Sharjah, United Arab Emirates
- “Urban tools and good practices: realizing sustainable public spaces”, by Marichela Sepe of the University of Naples, Italy
- “Preservation of company towns in Mexico”, by Alejandro Acosta Collazo of Autonomous University of Aguascalientes, Mexico
The papers presented during the conference were classified under the following headings:
- Urban strategies
- The community and the city
- Urban transportation and planning
- Sustainable energy and the city
- Architectural issues
- Urban conservation and regeneration
- Health issues
- Intelligent environments
- Planning for risk and natural hazards
- Sustainable regeneration and liveable public spaces (Special session organised by Marichela Sepe)
Papers presented at this conference are published in Vol. 249 of the WIT Transactions on Ecology and the Environment (ISSN 1743-3541). Papers presented at the meeting are available Open Access in the eLibrary of the Wessex Institute (https://www.witpress.com/elibrary) from where they can be freely downloaded by any interested parties.
A number of papers were selected for publication in several of the WIT Press titles, the International Journal of Transport Development and Integration, the International Journal of Energy Production and Management and the International Journal of Environmental Impacts. For further details on the titles mentioned, please see the WIT Press website: https://www.witpress.com/journals
Closing of the Conference
WIT is aware that one of the benefits of the conferences is the networking among colleagues and the only reason for implementing this strategy is the exceptional circumstances created by the COVID-19 crisis. Thus, to allow the authors to maintain that capability, delegates registered for this conference, and had their paper accepted for publication, are able to attend the next conference in the series (or a different conference of their choice devoted to similar topics that takes place prior to that) free of charge, and if they wish, make an oral presentation of their published paper.
We would like to thank the delegates for participating in the event and look forward to meeting them at the next conference in the series which is due to be reconvened in 2021.
Urban and Maritime Transport 2021, 16–18 June 2021
Air Pollution 2021, 7–9 September 2021
Sustainable City 2021, 5–7 October 2021
Energy and Sustainability 2021, 6–8 October 2021