Air Pollution 2020
28th International Conference on Modelling, Monitoring and Management of Air Pollution
8–10 June 2020
With the main objective to preserve our delegates’ well-being, but also with the belief that the scientific community should not be stopped, WIT decided that Air Pollution 2020 should not take place as scheduled, in Seville, Spain, but take place as an online event instead.
The conference was organised by the Wessex Institute, UK, represented by Professor Juan Casares, and the University of the West of England, UK, represented by Professor Jim Longhurst and Dr Joanna Barnes.
The conference, which started in Mexico in 1993 is well-established and always attracts a wide international spread of delegates. The variety of topics covered by the conference reflects the wide-spread nature of the air pollution phenomena, its impact on human health and the environment.
Opening of the Conference
The conference was opened by Professor Jim Longhurst who welcomed the delegates to the event.
There were a series of invited lectures on advanced topics of research and applications, as follows:
- “Indoor Air quality study using low cost sensors” by Professor Myriam Lopes, University of Aveiro, Portugal.
- “Contribution of non-renewable sources for limiting the electrical CO2 emission factor In Ecuador” by Dr Rene Parra, University San Francisco of Quito, Ecuador.
- “Assessing recurrent and convolutional neural networks for tropospheric ozone forecasting in the region of Vitoria, Brazil” by Erick Giovani Sperandio Nascimento, SENAI CIMATEC, Brasil.
- “Measurement and simulation of anthropogenic and biogenic VOC emissions from different types of sources” by Deborah Panepinto, Polytechnic University of Turin, Italy
The papers presented at the conference covered the following topics:
- Air pollution control technologies
- Air pollution modelling
- Emission studies
- Health effects
- Indoor air pollution
- Monitoring and measuring
Papers presented at this conference are published in Vol. 244 of the WIT Transactions on Ecology and the Environment (ISSN 1743-3541). Papers presented at the meeting are available Open Access in the eLibrary of the Wessex Institute (https://www.witpress.com/elibrary) from where they can be freely downloaded by any interested parties.
Closing of the Conference
We are very sorry that we were not able to meet our delegates in person this year.
WIT is aware that one of the benefits of the conferences is the networking among colleagues and the only reason for implementing this strategy is the exceptional circumstances created by the covid-19 crisis. Thus, to allow the authors to maintain that capability, delegates registered at Air Pollution 2020 which had their paper accepted for publication, will be able to attend the next conference in the series (or a different conference of their choice devoted to similar topics that takes place prior to that) free of charge, and if they wish, make an oral presentation of their published paper.
We would like to thank the delegates for participating in the event and look forward to meeting them at the next conference in the series.
Sustainable City 2021, 5–7 October 2021
Energy and Sustainability 2021, 6–8 October 2021