Air and Water Pollution 2022
30th International Conference on Modelling, Monitoring and Management of Air and Water Pollution
5–7 July 2022
With the main objective to preserve our delegates’ wellbeing, but also with the belief that the international contacts among the scientific community should not be stopped, WIT decided that this conference should not take place as scheduled in Milan, Italy, but take place as an online event instead.
The conference was organised by the Wessex Institute, UK, represented by Prof Stefano Mambretti, a member of WIT Board of Directors, the Polytechnic of Milan, Italy and the University of the West of England, UK.
This conference was the merging of two successful events organised by the Wessex Institute, the International Conference on Modelling, Monitoring and Management of Air Pollution which started in Mexico in 1993; and the International Conference on Monitoring, Modelling and Management of Water Pollution which originated in Southampton, UK in 1991.
The meetings in the Air Pollution series have discussed and considered many important air pollution issues and the international nature of the attendees has ensured that the conference findings and conclusions enjoy wide and rapid dissemination amongst the air pollution science and policy communities.
The Water Pollution conference series has provided a forum for discussion amongst scientists, managers and academics from different areas of water contamination.
Opening of the Conference
The conference was opened by Prof Stefano Mambretti, a member of the WIT Board of Directors, who welcomed the delegates to the event.
There were a series of invited lectures on advanced topics of research and applications, as follows:
- Estimation of atmospheric boundary layer values in the context of the daily prediction of PM10 air pollution
by P. A. Kowalski, M.Kusy, M. Szwagrzyk, J. Izodorczyk
- Assessment of cumulus parameterization schemes in modeling meteorology associated with an air pollution event in the Andean region of Ecuador
by R. Parra
- Comparison of Gaussian and Lagrangian puff dispersion models for the risk assessment of receptors nearby a contaminated site
by M. Ravina, I. Verginelli, R. Baciocchi & M. Zanetti
- Diffusion of innovation - implementation of constructed wetlands in the Kathmandu Valley, Nepal
by Z. Boukalova, J. Tesitel & B. D. Gurung
- Hydrochemical and radiometric study of groundwaters from Serra Negra Spa, São Paulo State, Brazil
by P. D. Avona & D.M. Bonotto
- Public perceptions of the role and competency of government to deal with water-related issues over a 34-year period in the Pacific Northwest, USA
by Robert L. Mahler
- Evolution of the activates sludge community of a WWTP with industrial discharges
by A. Baeza-Serrano, F. Sempere, N. Oliver, P. Gutierrez & G.Fayos
The papers presented during the conference were classified under the following headings:
- Atmospheric modelling and forecasting
- Health risk assessment
- Global, regional and local studies
- Water treatment
Prigogine Award Ceremonies
During the conference live presentations of the last three year’s Prigogine Award medal took place, as the ceremonies in 2020 and 2021 had to be postponed due to COVID-19.
- The 2020 Medal was awarded to Prof Diederik Aerts from Belgium, who gave a Special Prigogine Lecture “A Quantum Quest. From operational quantum axiomatics to quantum conceptuality, or how to unveil meaning in reality”.
- The 2021 Medal was awarded to Prof Simone Bastianoni, University of Siena, Italy who gave a Special Prigogine Lecture “A Sustainability Viewpoint for a Post Covid-19 Pandemic Society”.
More information on the Prigogine Award Ceremonies can be found at: https://www.wessex.ac.uk/prigogine-award
Q&A Live Zoom Sessions
Conference delegates were invited to participate in two Q&A live zoom sessions which took place on 6th and 7th July 2022. These friendly sessions were a great opportunity for participants to interact with each other and put questions to authors about their papers.
Papers presented at this conference are published in Volume 259 of the WIT Transactions on Ecology and the Environment (Electronic ISSN: 1743-3541). Papers presented at the meeting are available Open Access in the eLibrary of the Wessex Institute (https://www.witpress.com/elibrary) from where they can be freely downloaded by any interested parties.
Closing of the Conference
We are very sorry that we were not able to meet our delegates in person this time, but hope that we will be able to do so at a future event.