It is with great sadness that we have to announce to the scientific community the death of the renowned ecologist and chemist, Professor Sven Erik Jørgensen.
Sven was Professor Emeritus in Environmental Chemistry at the University of Denmark. He received his doctoral degree at Karlsruhe University in Germany and another doctorate in science in ecological modelling at the University of Copenhagen.
Amongst many other honours, he was awarded PhD Honoris Causa at several universities, as well as being appointed Einstein Professor at the Chinese Academy of Sciences. He also received the Santa Chiara Prize for Multidisciplinary Teaching at the University of Siena, where he collaborated for a long time with the Ecodynamics Group, led by the late Professor Enzo Tiezzi (Prigogine Medallist 2005).
His research output has been extensive, particularly in the fields of systems modelling, ecological engineering, environmental sciences and management of aquatic systems, with 400 publications to his credit and more than 60 books.
He founded the International Journal of Ecological Modelling, and later established the International Society of Ecological Modelling, as well as participating in many Committees and Editorial Boards. He was also an active member of the European Academy of Sciences.
Sven will be remembered at our Wessex Institute for the many initiatives in which he collaborated. He was Co-Chair of many of our Institute’s conferences, including one on Ecosystems and Sustainable Development. His contribution was outstanding, including in the launching of the International Journal of Design and Nature, where he served as a Senior Member of the Editorial Board. WIT Press, the publishing arm of our Institute, also published two of his books, ie “Eco-Exergy as Sustainability” and “Ecological Modelling”, as well as editing four other important volumes (see below).
Sven’s enthusiasm and dynamism were contagious. He was a source of inspiration to his colleagues, young and old, all over the world.
He will be sorely missed.
Carlos A Brebbia
S.E. Jørgensen Books (Published by WIT Press)
- Ecosystems and Sustainable Development V , E. Tiezzi, C.A. Brebbia, S.E. Jørgensen and D. Almorza Gomar (Eds), WIT Press 2005
- Eco-Exergy as Sustainability, S.E. Jørgensen, WIT Press 2006
- Ecosystems and Sustainable Development VI, E. Tiezzi, J.C. Marques, C.A. Brebbia and S.E. Jørgensen (Eds), WIT Press 2007
- Ecological Modelling, S.E. Jørgensen, WIT Press 2009
- Handbook of Ecological Modelling and Informatics, S.E. Jørgensen, T-S. Chon and F.A. Recknagel (Eds), WIT Press 2009
- Lake Sustainability, C.A. Brebbia and S.E. Jørgensen (Eds), WIT Press 2012