Low Risk Disposable Technologies
A European Union ESPRIT Project
A significant technological challenge is the search for appropriate disposal of hazardous waste. It is evident that technologies that are simple, practical and economical to use, should be developed to safeguard public health and reduce environmental pollution.
Computing modelling is extensively used to predict stability of the mines and repositories, the flow in the rock structure and the potential transport of toxic waste through the mine and rock structure.
- The LowRisk DT project is investigating the use of abandoned mines for the disposal of hazardous waste. The main objectives are:
- To establish the prerequisites for using abandoned mines for the disposal of hazardous waste.
- To outline suitable design and construction technology.
- To make performance assessments with special respect to environmental safety and cost.
- Computatonal Mechanics Inc, USA
- Wessex Institute of Technology, UK
- Geodevelopment, Sweden
- DURTEC, Germany
- National Technical University of Athens, Greece